What it is
Jumpstart, part of the SFU Entrepreneur of the Year program, is aimed at building a foundation for aspiring student entrepreneurs at Simon Fraser University. This 8-week accelerator helps students who are new to entrepreneurship gain the entrepreneurial mindset they need to transform their basic business idea into an actual business.
After weekly sessions led by local entrepreneurs, mentorship, pitch practices, deliverables, and constant feedback, venture teams pitch their businesses and progress in a mini Demo-Day to a panel of industry professionals. The goal of Jumpstart is to provide a supportive environment and resourceful network for businesses to be launched.
Each session will be led by local entrepreneurs and business professionals who specialize in the topic of the week. Teams will also be paired with a mentor who will work with teams personally over the 8 weeks.
Jumpstart targets students who are new to entrepreneurship and are curious about the foundations of starting their own business.
- Teams may be a maximum of 5 people
- At least one person on the team is a current full-time or part-time undergraduate, graduate or recent graduate (no earlier than Spring 2014) from Simon Fraser University
- Have an idea for a business that is still in concept phase
- Your team must be present for at least 6 of 8 sessions to qualify to participate in Demo Day
- Sessions will run each on a weekend day for two months in Fall 2014
- Demo Day occurs on a weekend day after the eight sessions
- Each session will be led by local entrepreneurs and business professionals who specialize in the topic of the week
- Teams will also be paired with a mentor who will work with your team personally over the 8 weeks
The Jumpstart Curriculum
- Entrepreneurial Foundation
- Product-Market Fit
- Business Development
- Marketing and Branding
- Sales and Metrics
- Funding and Investment
- Legal and Organizational Culture
- Pitch Preparation
Demo Day Details:
- Following the 8 weeks, there will be a Jumpstart Demo Day in which teams will pitch to a panel of industry professionals
- Teams will have the chance to win funding, mentorship sessions, and other resources for their businesses
Look out for the application form in Summer 2014!
Questions or Concerns?
Email Keith Leung at firstname.lastname@example.org.